From preventing muscle cramps to improving joint flexibility, there are plenty of reasons to stretch every day. Here’s what you should know about the different stretching benefits.
In this article:
- How Does Stretching Benefit the Body?
- What are Some Common Stretching Mistakes?
- Who Shouldn’t Do Stretching Exercises?
FAQs About How Stretching Benefits Bodybuilders
1. How Does Stretching Benefit the Body?
— TheMacLife (@Maclifeofficial) September 2, 2018
Regular stretching benefits bodybuilders in more ways than one. In fact, whether you go to the gym or not, it’s very important to do stretching exercises on a daily basis. Here are some of the benefits of stretching:
- Improved Circulation: Stretching improves blood circulation and brings nutrients to your muscles. At the same time, you’re removing the waste byproducts your tissues contain. Plus, it’s a great way to speed up muscle recovery. That’s why you should always remember to stretch after your workout. You’ll thank us tomorrow when you’re not writhing in pain because of post-workout soreness.
- Relieving Muscle Pain: Patients suffering from rheumatoid arthritis, back pain, and IT band syndrome can try stretching to alleviate pain. That’s because one of the most common stretching benefits is releasing muscle tightness, which can sometimes be caused by bad posture. Even if you don’t suffer from these symptoms, regular stretching can still do wonders for your posture.
- Increased Flexibility: How many times have you seen runners crying in pain after a marathon because they didn’t stretch properly? Stretching is a very important part of fitness. When working out, it’s crucial to keep your joints fluid and flexible. Stiff joints may lead to cramps, sprains, and other injuries.
- Stress Relief: Taking a break from work to stretch is a great way to reduce stress. For example, you can get up and do some stretches every two to three hours. It helps clear your mind by getting the blood flowing to the different parts of your body. This especially helps those who have an eight-hour desk job.
2. What are Some Common Stretching Mistakes?
In order to maximize the different benefits of stretching, you should observe proper technique and posture when doing these activities. Improper stretching will only do more harm than good. If possible, it’s best to have a personal trainer guide you during your first stretching activities. If you don’t have access to one, then watch out for these common stretching mistakes:
- Improper Breathing: Holding your breath tenses your muscles and restricts the oxygen flow to your lungs. Meanwhile, stretching benefits your blood flow by allowing it to move freely to the different parts of your body. If you don’t breathe properly, you won’t be able to maximize this benefit. That’s why you should remember to relax and breathe properly while stretching.
- Not Stretching Both Sides: Stretching only one side of the body is wrong. Make sure to stretch both sides of your body.
- Bouncing: Bouncing while doing stretching activities leads to small muscle tears which later become scar tissues. Afterward, these scar tissues tighten your muscles making you less flexible than you were before.
- Releasing Too Quickly: In order to maximize the different stretching benefits, you should hold each exercise for at least 30 seconds. Remember that it takes time to lengthen the body’s tissues safely. Forcing it to stretch out will only harm your muscle tissues.
3. Who Shouldn’t Do Stretching?
Although stretching benefits us physically and mentally, there are people who should avoid these exercises. Those with acute muscle strains, fractured bones, and joint sprains are some of the people who shouldn’t do stretching activities. It’s best to let these injuries heal before you decide to stretch again.
Check out this video by Prepared Life by MG to learn how stretching benefits bodybuilders:
To make the most of the different stretching benefits, remember to combine it with proper diet and regular exercise. Doing these will help you maintain a healthy body that’s less prone to injuries and illnesses. As a bodybuilder, you can do your stretching activities in the morning, at night, or pre- and post-workout. Try them out today to see how it improves your health, athletic performance, and overall mood.
In what other ways do you think stretching benefits the body? Share your thoughts in the comments section below!